Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Calculating Tax for Exempt Customers on Sales Order

By
shaun
on 5/5/13, 1:00 PM 5,295 views

My retail prices including tax are stored in the Product Sale Price field. The tax Code for my Taxable Customers ST11 is set to Tax Included in price. I also sell to Tax Exempt customers and have created a Fiscal Rule. The issue is that when entering a Sales Order the price is still based on the product Sale Price field but the tax does not get deducted.

Tax Codes

ST11 -> 20% [TAX included in price]

ST2 -> 0% Exempt Sales

Fiscal Rule Exempt Customer -> Map -> ST11 to ST2

Product A Sale Price £120

Customer A Taxable

Customer B Exempt - > Fiscal Rule applied

(1) Sales Order selling product A to Customer A

Product A £100 Tax £20 = £120 correct

(2) Sales Order selling product A to Customer B

Product A £120 Tax £0 = £120 incorrect Price should be £100

I would like to keep the Product Sale Price as Tax Included.

What is the best way to set OpenERP to calculate the prices correctly for Tax Exempt Customers?

One way I have found of implementing this is to create a new price list - Tax Exempt Customers - based on the Taxable Price List and then setting the calculation fields to New Price = Base Price * ( 1 + -0.1667) + 0.00 (Note 0.1667 is negative). I then assign the customer to the price list and the 20% tax is removed by means of calculation.

shaun
on 5/5/13, 4:10 PM
shaun
On 5/6/13, 6:38 AM

The solution of creating a price list to to calculate the correct price for Exempt customers is not complete. The reason being that some of the products that I sell are Zero Rate (0%) . Therefore based on a calculated Price list to remove TAX you get the following scenario.

Product A Tax Code ST11 (20%)

Price £12 (£10 ex TAX)

Product B Tax Code ST0 (0%)

Price £12 (£12 ex VAT)

Customer B Exempt - > Fiscal Rule applied + Assign to calculated price to remove TAX

Product A Price £10 correct

Product B Price £10 incorrect as product B is Zero Rated with a price of £12

This begs the question of "What is the point of a Tax Code with a setting of TAX included in Price?" unless there is a way of Mapping between Fiscal Positions

Does this mean that to set up OpenERP correctly all prices should be EX TAX?

Is it possible to use the Taxes -> Special Computation Field to calculate the price on logic. ie IF (tax_code = ST11 and ST11_tax_is_included) {Price = Price - ST11_TAX} ELSE {return Price} . Will this create problems with tax reports? Can any one provide me with an example?

shaun
on 5/6/13, 7:19 AM

patrick

--patrick--
| 5 4 7
Baarn, Netherlands
--patrick--
patrick
On 5/5/13, 5:35 PM

Your solution is possible, but I wonder why you want your product prices to be with tax included?

If you would create the prices without taxes, openERP is able to do the tax-calculation correctly, depending on the country of the customer and the existence of the VAT number of the customer. This way, the tax-exempt customer might get a receipt with tax included, but he can get it back from the customs.

I am a retail supplier and hence all my customers require the prices inclusive of VAT. I am also using the magento ERPconnector. As I had set the prices in Magento as inclusive of VAT when I imported the products into OpenERP they were based on these values. However, it also seems a bit strange functionally associating TAX codes as Included in Price as this would have been better set at product level and then Taxation could be calculated easier between Taxes. I thought there was a setting elsewhere in the configuration that I had missed.

shaun
on 5/5/13, 7:35 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/5/13, 1:00 PM
Seen: 5295 times
Last updated: 5/26/16, 9:07 AM