This question has been flagged
10 Replies

I introduce myself as I am new to this forum. First of all thanks in advance for any help or answer that you can give me. 
My question is this. I want to launch an application that requests against server Odoo. The application will be installed on a tablet with the following characteristics: 
• ARM cortex A9 1GHz 
• Quadcore 
• 1GB of RAM 
Drivers as well as the operating system will be Linux, do not know whether to put Android on the device, it will only need this application.

I am particularly interested in the speed demands attention and does not have a great graphic load could slow him. 

I do not have much experience in programming language so what advice would you me to program? 

I hope I explained properly, if not, I'll be happy to make clear any questions you have. 

From already, thank you very much for the help. 

A greeting !!

Discard
Best Answer

I do not understand your question fully, but will try to answer on what I believe you mean.

When developing a new module for Odoo you are basically limited to using Python in combination with JavaScript. For adding functionality in Odoo this is your combination.

If you want to develop an application that can communicate with Odoo and runs on your specification than any language that is able to create XML-RPC (or upcoming JSON-RPC) connections should do fine. If it must run on Android I believe you are limited to Java. 

If you mean anything else, please specify the question further.

Discard

"If it must run on Android I believe you are limited to Java." Not really, you can use C++ via NDK. And you can also run python script via kivy. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/101754/is-there-a-way-to-run-python-on-android

Both points are quite true Ben Bernard, but the topic starter has limited knowledge about programming, so writing for android not using the regular setup might be a little to much. Furthermore speed needs attention. I am currently unaware of the speeds on such a platform, but I do know that about 2 years ago anything non-native was significantly slower on android. Other than that, valid points and well made.

Best Answer

Asking myself the same question for a long time, I did opt for react-native from facebook to create native code for ios and android with the same react-native code, seam great

Discard
Best Answer

Python. It is a good language if you need to write a script and join it to already existing components. Also, such peculiarities of this language as the expansion of structure and dynamic semantic contribute to rapid app development. However, it has disadvantages like low speed and rare application within the mobile sphere. Python is used in web development as well. It is aimed at increasing coders productivity due to its simple syntax and big scope of useful features.

JavaScript and HTML5 combination allow creating hybrid mobile apps. Due to the raised popularity of React Native, it is also used for cross-platform development. Moreover, this programming language popularity has touched game development as well.

JS is also used for front-end development of majority websites. However, it may also be used for the creation of back-end. Its newest version ES2017 will be launched at the end of 2017. More there

https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/research-of-most-popular-programming-languages-for-2017

Discard
Best Answer

I just wondering, what about going native with C++ via Qt?

To use python, there is PyQt.

ps. I don't have much experience in mobile programming and not considering license compatibility.

Discard
Author Best Answer

Hello again,

Thankyou for your fast answers. I think I explained wrong. At this moment I have the tablet in a virgin state, I mean, I dont have installed Android in it and I will install it if I finally decide to develop with Android. As I dont have large knowledge in programming I dont know which language to use and under which platform. I want to decide it before to start to avoid change in the future when I find limitations.

Regards!

Discard

So, basically, you mean to ask which language to develop in when building new modules for Odoo? That would be Python, regardless of the platform Odoo is running on, or your own development platform. If you are only asking what to install on your tablet and subsequently program in, I'm afraid you are asking on the form. Third option is to build a client for a tablet that connects and/or receives data from an Odoo instance. In that case I would advise you to go for development in java, using an existing XMLRPC library and then build for your android tablet.

Author

yes, basically I mean the thrid option, which is build a client in the table that connects to the openerp server with my own interface. For example, a GUI in the tablet to insert sales for a commercial vendor who goes throw the shops vending products. It should be like an own TPV with the items according to the vendor profile. This API will send a XML RPC call to the server to insert the sale for the customer... It should be possible with C++ as Ben Bernard said me or only in Java? I dont know if C++ is lighter than Java language thank you again!

Both C++ and Java run natively on Android. C++ is closer to the hardware since it needs no VM to build in. However, it is most likely harder to build in since you will have no extended framework. You mentioned that you haven't got much experience in programming which will even make things harder. Therefore I would suggest Java. If you can use Eclipse as a development IDE, I know there are great tutorials to integrate the ADK with eclipse and get-up-and-running within the hour. Most likely C++ also has some sort of equivalent, but I do not know of it. I personally also found java to be easier to learn as a beginner.