Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Base configurations for stock management

By
michel Guénard
on 2/21/13, 10:23 AM 3,170 views

There is a whole set of parameters to setup with precision to make sure that the incoming/outgoing articles are properly and automatically recorded. Having read almost everything available in books, partner web sites and forums, the question remains open for me. For example my initial physical inventory (imported) is appearing as a loss! Is there a comprehensive (I mean global!) document describing each step that is necessary to setup these parameters, including accounting; and where to find it.

My business context: 2500 articles/ 1 warehouse; no complexity

Yaroslav
On 2/21/13, 10:33 AM

Same scenario for me, but with the overhead that we have 3 companies, 2 warehouses, 2 shops and several thousands products, and many of them are "kits".

I'm slowly understanding how everything works and how is glued together. I'm using several different resources. Here are some, but for sure you have checked them already:

• Book online from OpenERP: the link points to the chapter Managing Physical Inventory Structure as starting from here I've managed to understand some of the processes
  • The old OpenERP forum: digging through old answers and doing some searches I've found some useful information
  • This other site is basically the same as the book online but with some minor changes
  • And last but not least, playing around with all the available settings and configurations

The main problem I'm struggling with right now is that there is no up to date documentation for OpenERP v7.0 so I spend lot of time just finding the option I need to click and ensuring that I'm on the correct place.

EDIT

I'm editing to add a comment where I explain what, I believe, is one of the main configurations to take care about when settling up new locations, the Chained Locations and their chaining type.

On the first link I provided is well explained how to automatically move your articles between locations, based on how you configure them. You can have a location for each of your suppliers, one for the customers, others for your shops and off course, the warehouse. You can on location form manage the Chained Locations setup and the chaining type. These options will allow you, for example, when you create a purchase order from a supplier and receive the order, to automatically add those new products to the inventory (your stock location).

The embbeded workflows or process descriptions does not include any item on inventory, movements of articles; such informational components would be helpful for general understanding.

AD LIBITOM, michel Guénard
on 2/21/13, 2:45 PM

On the first link I provided is well explained how to automatically move your articles between locations, based on how you configure them. You can have a location for each of your suppliers, one for the customers, others for your shops and off course, the warehouse. You can on location form manage the Chained Locations setup and the chaining type. These options will allow you, for example, when you create a purchase order from a supplier and receive the order, to automatically add those new products to the inventory (your stock location).

Yaroslav
on 2/22/13, 7:58 AM
Josse Colpaert (jco)
On 2/21/13, 1:12 PM

The most straightforward way seems to be to still import it with the products by using the quantity on hand field. (Importing is enabled in the general settings, and found on top as a link in e.g. the list of products) It will generate a lot of inventories, but it should work this way.

Of course, I can certainly advise you the OpenERP Book about Logistics for this.

Thanks Josse for your answer; I have learned how to import inventory, to merge them etc.. This is not the issue I am facing! I need to understand the whole logic behing the configuration of what has to deal with quantities of articles IN/OUT and the corresponding booking of such transactions.

AD LIBITOM, michel Guénard
on 2/21/13, 1:53 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/21/13, 10:23 AM
Seen: 3170 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM