This question has been flagged

GOAL: Associate MULTIPLE SERIAL NUMBERS with a single inventory item

EXAMPLE:

1. We have a single TYPE of Widget. The widget has a QTY of 10. 
  2. Each WIDGET has a different serial #. Thus we have 10 serial #'s since we have a QTY of 10. 
  3. We sell that widget to 10 customers.  (Because we have a QTY of 10 in stock)
  4. Each widget we sell decreases the QTY by 1. We need to associate the item we sold with a customer invoice. So we know WHICH customer we sold WHICH WIDGET to with WHICH Serial #.

Is there a way to handle this natively within Odoo? The only solution I see right now is to create a separate inventory item for every item we sell. So, instead of having 1 inventory item with a QTY of 10 we would have 10 inventory items with a QTY of 1. 

This is bad for two reasons:
1) Reporting - It's not easy to see which customers we sold this widget to in a single view.
2) It's messy. It would be better to have a single inventory item with multiple serial #'s associated with it then many different inventory items with a single serial #. 

Let me know your thoughts on this and how others are handling this!

Discard
Best Answer

What you are asking is how Odoo works out of the box.

Single inventory item:

Buy and receive 10 units:

(Click the SPLIT button until you can enter the 3 serial numbers identifying what you received.)

What do you have in stock now?

What are the serial numbers that you have in stock now?

Sell and deliver a Datacard:

Trace the specific serial number from receipt to deliver:

----------------------------------------------------

Where (which step) can't you get it to work this way?

Discard
Author

I think I must have totally missed this. I am trying your steps now. Thank you VERY much. Will respond to confirm after I have tested.

i Also have this problem. 10 pieces of a product has 10 serial numbers.Instead of entering 10 times the same product and a serial number is there any way to just enter 1 product with 10 lines for the 10 different serial numbers? As in opening balances.Thank U