Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

assembly of virtual parts

By
Mattias Åslund
on 3/23/16, 12:06 PM 289 views

I've just started evaluating Odoo for our manufacturing. My main interest is assemblying products from parts we buy.

Lets say "Product A"s are assembled by putting a "switch" inside a "case". The switch can be any of three different physical parts from two different manufacturers while the case may be a specific one from just one manufaturer. The final unit is still a "Product A".

I need to track all manufactured units by serial number and be able to see afterwards what actual components are in each one. In case we repair a specific unit (i.e. by replacing its switch), I want to be able to update the unit in the system. 

Can I do this with Odoo? Any pointers of how?

Michael Watchorn
On 4/4/16, 12:10 PM

Yes, you can do this with Odoo.

For starters, ensure you have the stock module installed (look for Warehouse Management).

Are the switches all the same product as far as you are concerned? If they are then it doesn't matter that there are 3 options. You just stipulate that you want to use a Switch, and you call your inventory product "Switch" or whatever.

The Switch Product can have multiple suppliers, so that's not a problem either. You can enter what you want to call it "Switch", and when you setup the Supplier (Warehouse -> Products -> Products -> [select or create your switch] -> Procurements tab -> Suppliers -> "Add an item")  You'll be able to enter the Supplier's Product Name and the Supplier's Product Code, because no doubt your 2 suppliers have different codes. As a matter of fact, since you have 2 suppliers but 3 parts, then you're obviously getting 2 switches from the same supplier. In this case just create 2 Supplier lines each with the same supplier but different Product Name and Product Codes. Then create a 3rd supplier line with the information from the 3rd supplier.

You can track serial numbers by going to Settings -> Configuration -> Warehouse -> Traceability and putting a checkmark for "Track Lots or serial numbers".

You'll then need to enter the serial numbers for switches and cases once they are received. (Do this by going to Warehouse -> Traceability -> Serial Numbers -> Create -> Overwrite the default Serial Number with that of the switch in your hand. Select the Product to be "Switch" and Save.

Then when completing your Product A Manufacturing Order you'll be prompted to enter the Lot (aka Serial Number) when consuming the switch (and again for the case).

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/23/16, 12:06 PM
Seen: 289 times
Last updated: 7/24/16, 1:06 AM