Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Are 'classic' ERP Modules in v8 as stable as they where in v7 already?

By
gunnar
on 8/14/14, 12:40 AM 1,068 views

v8 has some new features like websitebuilder, etc. it is now being in 'release candidate' state and will be oficially stable in about a month (at least that what I heard). I think some people might still not consider it production-ready yet even then.

I was wondering whether the fact of being 'instable' affects the 'classic' ERP functionality that seems to be same as in v7 (like hr, warehouse, CRM, etc...) in the same seriousity as 'genuine' v8 Modules? Maybe all the 'standard' ERP part is just ported to v8 and therefore as stable as it was in v7?

If that was so, one could jump into v8, start using 'production-stable' legacy ERP functionality and just sit and wait for genuine v8 part to mature and stabilize over time. Or is that a naive-wishful-thinking approach?

Janno Liivak
On 8/15/14, 4:25 AM

Odoo v8 is still quite unstable. I tried to use it as a real life ERP (I know, I know ... beta and RC are not to be used) but there have been many problems in the simplest of places.

For me the warehouse changes are so inconvenient that I'm planning to drop using odoo at all. In v7 the serial number functionality was a lot easier (e.g splitting purchased quantities during reception). Now I have to use this freaking inconvenient Barcode view and I don't want to. Also the missing flexibility of managing cost prices of products is very bad thing.

They have done quite a huge work but they shifted their focus to nice-to-have functionality (e.g website builder) and not to improve the core. Just my 2 cents.

thanks for your feedback. I share the impression that development focus seem to be a little on adding new "things that are nice-to -have" rather then stabilizing the core. I also agree that this maybe does not always help to stabilize the software as a whole and also keep an existing customer base happy.

gunnar
on 8/25/14, 11:44 PM

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 8/15/14, 2:15 AM

I do not speak for odoo but according to what I have read there has been major changes in the Warehouse module.  Of course the CMS (website) module is new and two modules have been rewritten to verify the validity of the new API (the account and event modules).

Of course you can always look at the OpenUpgrade 7->8 module upgrade status to see where scheme changes were made and therefore module changes.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/14/14, 12:40 AM
Seen: 1068 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM