This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have an Odoo10 enterprise implementation and am using gmail smtp (G-Suite) authenticating as admin@domain.com , the mail all gets sent and arrives at the proper destination however all mail appears to be sent as admin@domain.com.

The name of the sender is the user who sent the message/invoice/report however the email is always admin@domain.com .

Is this the expected behaviour? It is not too surprising since I am authenticating as admin however is there a way that the messages can be sent as the users proper email? 

Or is this likely the smtp service provider modifying the sender address to match the authentication credentials?

Discard
Author

Thanks Ermin! I will do exactly that.

Author

Ermin, I took a look at this document. It is in line with my configuration.

However the question still remains "should all email be sent as 'User Name <admin@domain.com>'" or is this an indication of a misconfiguration? Am I being unrealistic thinking that all mail should be sent by 'User Name <username@domain.com>'? Thanks!

Author

Ermin also added to his statement on a private thread that each Odoo user needs an alias for their email address. So in my case an Odoo login 'username@domain.com' needs an alias 'username@domain.com'

Best Answer

After having spent days and days on understanding and trying a proper setup, I can only recommend to literally follow Odoo's advice and recommendations: https://www.odoo.com/documentation/user/10.0/discuss/email_servers.html. Read it carefully and start from that point on.

Discard
Author

Ermin, I took a break from this issue and recently just got back to it.

So what I found was the following. My client had a G-suite mail server ( the free tier ). The free tier does not support white listed relaying. So in order to send they had configured their Odoo SMTP server to authenticate as admin@domain.com with the appropriate credentials.

I had mistakenly thought they were authenticating in order to relay. It turned out that they were authenticating to send mail ( and so not surprisingly all mail was sent as the authenticated admin@domain.com ).

In the end I could have done two things. Upgrade to the corporate version of G-suite to unlock the relay functionality or find another relay. I configured a mail server on localhost and configured it to relay for Odoo ( as well as configuring DNS,DKIM,SPF etc ).

All is well.