Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Accounting on a cash basis instead of double-entry bookkeeping

By
Leo Guggenberger
on 4/16/14, 4:19 AM 3,638 views

Hi all,

I'm new in OpenERP and I have a question regarding accounting. Is it possible to use a accounting on a cash basis instead of double-entry bookkeeping with OpenERP? I want to use OpenERP for a small company in Austria. In this case I wouldn't need a double-entry bookkeeping. It would be enough to use an accounting on cash basis. Is this possible with OpenERP? How can I setup/customize this in OpenERP?

Thanks a lot for your input and information! Kind regards, Leo

Hi Kim, why do you want to use my other modules? I want to use many modules. At the moment the most important modules are: /account_voucher, account_accountant, sale, stock, purchase, account_analytic_analysis, l10n_at ... Did you have any idea how to use /accounting on a cash basis instead of double-entry bookkeeping?

Leo Guggenberger
on 6/17/14, 1:47 AM
Fekete Mihai
On 5/31/16, 11:52 PM

Hi all, i think you can use it with https://github.com/OCA/account-payment/tree/8.0/account_vat_on_payment, since you can configure an shadow account for each one, and it will change to the real one at the momment of payment/receipt, and you can configure as well tax account plus income/expense ones, plus the account taxes and tax codes. You can try it on runbot to see if it suits...

Barry Boese
On 5/31/16, 5:07 PM

Regarding cash basis accounting, normally it's best to use accrual based accounting for your day to day, month to month operations and transactions, as it's much better for key decision making issues, strategy, etc.     Cash basis can be good for tax reporting, however don't let tax accountants force your system to be cash basis, when all the tax accountant needs it for is cash basis tax return preparation.  In other words, most companies run on an accrual basis, and only if the tax accountant needs cash basis reporting, you can just do that at the year ends, and not impact your operational, accrual based system.

Leo Guggenberger
On 6/17/14, 1:57 AM

Hi Eva, thanks for your answer. In my translation the single entry accounting is called accounting on cash basis, but I think we are meaning both the same thing. You  are right with the advantages of double entry accounting, but as I'm trying to implement a ERP system at the first time and I don't want to change the accounting system at the same time. I think this are to many changes at the same time. Do you know is there an option to use Odoo/OpenERP with single entry accounting? Thanks and kind regards, Leo

hgfhgf dfsfd
On 6/9/14, 9:16 AM

Hello,

I came across the same problem like Leo. I would be very grateful if anyone could help us to solve this problem.

Kind regards

Thomas

Eva Pinter
On 6/16/14, 7:58 PM

Hello Leo,

In Austria and Germany, it is not mandatory to have the double entry bookkeeping for small companies. This has nothing to do with cash basis, that defines only the moment of booking the revenues/expenses.

I believe that OpenERP is based on double entry accounting and does not support single entry accounting. In an ERP, this is much easier to manage and allows the accountant to make checks of what was booked easily. Further, even with single entry accounting, you will have to treat specifically all assets ( as you normally do not have asset accounts but must register the value change of your asset). It is also more complicated to follow the stock, as you will only have it in quantity and not in value and will be forced to track the stock variation another way.

You might want to check the anglo-saxon accounting to change the COGS to COS for stock transactions.

Kim Goodall
On 6/12/14, 2:26 AM

Gents,

What modules are you using..??

The two types of accounting are accrual based and cash based.... but both must adhere to double-entry standards.

The accounting module supports both accrual and cash based... so to answer it properly I would like to know the other modules us are using.

Regards

Kim

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

4 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 4/16/14, 4:19 AM
Seen: 3638 times
Last updated: 5/31/16, 11:52 PM