This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hi Our warehouse is separate from our office, Openerp connecting via the internet. LAN side it takes less than a second to load a page Internet side its a slow and painful 15 to 30 seconds to load a page!

We have 10MB download, 5MB upload microwave broadband at Server side. We have 2MB download 0.25MB upload at client

We use dynamic IP. - have tested with and without this, but no change?

Edit

Have been doing some testing and a quick review of the "log in page" using this gave this.

image description

Not that I understand the results! But 17/100 isnt good! I see one immediate area for improvement

Enable Compression - advise is to "Compressing resources with gzip or deflate can reduce the number of bytes sent over the network"

Edit 2 We have an 1/100 improvement :) - installed nginx - now scoring 18/100 - 82 more to go - still no compression!

Edit 3 We have had a small improvement :) - by changing the router - now scoring 34/100 - 66 more to go - still no compression!

Edit 4 We have had yet another small improvement :) - by giving the server another 2GB of memory - now scoring 36/100 - 64 more to go - still no compression!

Edit 5 Using Laura's link to Olivier below and "debugging tools" we have deduced that's its the first 2Mb of Java that's the slowing factor! Hence why I get a naff score when I test the log in page! (ok this is leading towards naff b'band, but - also noticed a couple of open wireless networks that we have tried (eg at shows) have what appear to be DNS issues somehow we can surf, but not use Openerp (cannot even ping)) .Once past the login page their is very minimal traffic!) I would still love to be able to enable compression on the 2MB of java! Any ideas?

Discard

do you access openerp on port 8069? did you install a proxy (nginx/apache) in front of it?

Author

Yes I have access to 8069 - didnt install a proxy! I know I have mod_deflate already installed which works (tested http://www.whatsmyip.org/http-compression-test/) on port 80 but not working on 8069! Should I have installed a Proxy? - Now install nginx see edit 2 above

Bandwidth is not everything regarding network performance. What is the latency from the remote site to the server? are there any lost packets? Try this command while using OpenERP: ping -n 200 YourOpenERPServer and post the result (last line)

vote for this. i think my installation is slow over internet too. i try other erp software on the same server its load faster. why openerp is slow there must be some problem that i do not know. over lan its ok.

Best Answer

LAN side it takes less than a second to load a page

If OpenERP is performing well via the LAN, then you should concentrate exclusively on the network.

Three most common causes of slow network performance:

• Congestion (too much traffic from too many users)
  • Data corruption (traffic being sent more than once because it is damaged during transmission)
  • Collisions (traffic being sent more than once because it can't make it the first time)

How do other client/server applications perform on this same network? If they are slow, then OpenERP will be slow.

We have several clients accessing OpenERP from hosted virtual servers on Amazon and Rackspace infrastructure and it is no slower than LAN access.

Discard
Author

Many thanks Ray - I think we need to decide on what is an acceptable speed, the warehouse department is getting a minimum of 10Mb down 5mb up broadband installed when this is done we will be able to assess its usability!

Could you please test the latency ? if you just ping the server, how many ms ?

Author

Dont know if this is an accurate result. At the moment I can only pinging from the local LAN out and back to our external IP (I can only do this since we change our router) - Results for 200 pings are Min 0ms Max 0ms Average 0ms - will try and do from an external PC sometime soon!

Best Answer

This post may also help you: https://accounts.openerp.com/forum/Help-1/question/29837

Discard