This question has been flagged
8 Replies

I'm working on migrating a well established instance of Magento over to Odoo 8.0, however I don't want to lose all of the search engine rankings for all the product page URL's that i've built up over the years.

I believe there has been some discussion towards implementing this into 9.0 core, however these features are very important for anyone who is considering migrating an already established website over to Odoo CMS and/or E-Commerce so as not to lose all of their hard work done on SEO.

Is anyone currently working on this type of module for 8.0 or master?

Discard
I had a project in the works but dropped it. Odoo CMS is too depended on URLs for functionality, like inline editing and translation. The Odoo team really needs to fix this. We nixed the Odoo migration and will stay with Magento until this issue is resolved.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2015年4月18日, at 11:39, Dieter Huelskamp <odoo@exidon.com> wrote:

A new answer for [8.0] Is Anyone Working on URL Slug Rewrites for Odoo 8? has been posted. Click here to access the post.

--
Dieter Huelskamp
Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo about Forum Post [8.0] Is Anyone Working on URL Slug Rewrites for Odoo 8?
Best Answer

Hi Luke. I chatted briefly with some from the Odoo team on Git https://github.com/88kbbq/odoo/commit/b93b3ba4902d340e4d39be3f098289754d1875b0 and it's highly unlikely we'll see this feature anytime soon. I've attempted to design a module to address the ugly URLs but found that the entire Odoo CMS relies on URLs for functionality like language settings, inline editing, e-commerce, blog posts, events, etc. So the doc type number has to be included in the URL and the filler slugs like "post" and "product" can't be removed even with URL rewrites. It'll break the front end completely. Unfortunately, there is not a single CMS out there that is built according to SEO best practices. Not a single one. Magento does the best job with major tweeks, but it lacks important business tool like CRM, blog, etc. I'll look into customizing WordPress with WooCommerce and Yoast SEO plugin bundle and just integrate a CRM form from a CRM I'll choose later. This is just ridiculous really. All these new CMS like Grav http://getgrav.org/ and PageKit http://www.pagekit.com/ still don't address multi-lingual, multi-currency sites with SEO best practices from Moz.com, Goolge, Bing, Yahoo, or common sense. Kill me here.

Discard
Author

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your message, i'm glad to hear there are others out there that are in the same position as me, and I completely understand your frustration.

Would you be willing to share your work (at whatever stage it is at at the moment) so we could consider collaborating in the future on this particular feature?

If it proves to be too complicated I may be able to organise some funding through my company to drive development for this feature with one of the Odoo partners that are interested in the project, as I think this is pretty important for e-commerce platform migrations, and general SEO of the platform.

I worked with Dobtor SI Ltd. out here in Taiwan, and we just looked through the code base after my attempt to replace the locale code with a language code broke Odoo native functionality. So we just felt it wasn't worth the time or the expense to develop something like this. It should be the Odoo team's responsibility to develop proper SEO functionality, so I'll just have to wait for it. There is nothing to give you except the solution is to have a URL alias to map CMS URLs to a custom URL. This functionality would also have to be disabled before using inline editing, translation, or adding any pages so to speak. The idea of having a URL slug to auto-update an alias map might work, too, but again it's just a lot of work. The big issue is not to break Odoo functionality, otherwise you could just write server redirects for every page. Keep me in the loop if you move on this. We're always open to contribute resources, but again we felt that something like this could be easily broken with even minor updates to Odoo.

Author

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your message. I've just noticed the discussion here:

https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/3965

I'll be discussing with a few other Odoo partners we are familiar with to ask for their take on it. I'll definitely keep you in the loop by updating this thread if there is any progress made on this.

Author

@Kevin,

It looks like someone was in the same boat and decided to build a module for it:

https://github.com/yelizariev/addons-yelizariev/tree/8.0/website_redirect

I haven't yet had time to look at it in detail, but it seems to emulate the seo-friendly URL slug generation feature of Magento. I'm not yet sure if it plays nicely with the language settings, inline editing, etc., but Yelizarev is a talented developer and I think he may be open to suggestions on how to improve it if necessary.

Best Answer

You can manage URL rewrite by nginx configuration, runned infront of your openerp-server.

Discard
Best Answer

Has anyone an idea, if there is any .htaccess one could rewrite manually? you say this would break system too? I mean if you use promote function, it also redirects in does not break right? I see this also very problematic, because it definitely has impact on promoting pages. It already would be great value to be able redirect old url-structure to new (though slightly more ugly) one.

Discard