This question has been flagged
7 Replies

Is this possible ?.
Have 1000 meters of cable, cut into 1000 pieces of 1 meter.
the second measure may vary by multiple forms.
I need to have separate measures.

thx

Discard
Best Answer

I think I've finally found the article I've been searching for. Thanks for posting this, I’ve been hunting for it for a while.

Discard
Best Answer

I have the same problem with Mauro.

The company  produces the cable. According to the requirements of customers, the length of cable's each piece is not fixed. 

Suppose the stock has a cable piece of 100 meters , and customer needs 80-meters/one-piece. The warehouse manager will cut from the piece of 100 m.Then the stock will have a piece of 20 m left.If no exist piece can meet the customer's need of length,the company will make a production.

Thanks for any help.

Discard
Best Answer

I wonder what you mean by second measure: meter or something else.  (otherwise there is the UoS) 

Discard
Best Answer

Interesting, but how about things bought in units and used in grams? Flour for example... 

I buy bulk packages (5kg each one) but I need to use in grams on my BOM. Will it works?

Discard
Best Answer

Hi Castro,,

Need some more clarifications.. I understood that, you need to have different unit of measure for a product. You can cut a 1000m wire into any number of piece but still for any purpose you can use unit 'meter'.

You can use like this:-

-> From Settings==>Warehouse  enable Manage different units of measure for products

and    enable Invoice products in a different unit of measure than the sales order

-> Now you can manage UOM from this menu:

Warehouse==>Configuration==>Units of Measure

Warehouse==>Configuration==>Units of Measure Categories

-> Now if you got like a product called 'A' you purchase that in meter's and you cut that to specfic number of pieces (or units) and let's assume one piece is 0.5 m (you are selling it in pieces,(if you need you can define new UOM 'piece'))

-> Now go to Product 'A' form and select settings for Sale tab

In Unit Of Measure section select-

Unit of Sale: Units

Unit of Measure -> UOS Coeff : 2

Now you can sell product 'A' by giving number of units too,, it will calculate price according to previous settings.

Let me Know if any query..

It is possible to suggest better solution only if there is better understanding of requirement,, so please add up details....

Discard

This solves the problem if this assumption holds "assume one piece is 0.5 m". But what if one piece does not always have to be 0.5 m?

Here is a contrived example:

When the company creates the sale order for 1000 meters of fabrics, it also needs to know how the 1000 meters is divided. It can be 10 sheets of 100 meters each, 5 sheets of 200 meters each, etc. The existing form in sale order can not accommodate this needs. You can fill 10 in quantity, and "100 meters/sheet" in Product Unit of Measures but like i've said earlier, one sheet does not always have to be equal to 100 meters, and the combination too create ("150 meters/sheet", '200 meters/sheet") Unit of Measures is just too much.

Author Best Answer

Josse:

Thanks for your reply. In my example, the second measure would be "pieces". Then, when talking about cables, I could have 1000 meters divided in 1000 pieces or I could have only 1 piece, 1000 meters long. The same problem, I think, would exist in the inventory of any company that needs to cut an input. For example, if you're using glass you could have 1 sq meter divided in 500 pieces (too many small pieces). Please tell me if I'm not being clear enough. Thanks in advance.

Discard
Best Answer

are trying to say that one product is a raw material which is cut into pieces to make the product?

Discard