This question has been flagged
1 Reply

When we purchase or manufacture products, we are working with product variants.  Product templates ARE NOT products.  We can't buy or make product templates.  Product variants are what we buy, sell and make.  Why, when I click on the Products menu item (Purchases, Warehouse, Manufacturing), do I get the product templates view?

Discard
Author

My purchasing agents can't find products by default_code because it's not in the product template tree view. I shouldn't have to customize to sort and filter by the default_code.

Author

A more productive question: If I change this, will it be accepted on a pull request?

Best Answer

Actually, when you create products or product templates, it is creating a product variant.  And when you want to create multiple variants for a product, this will happen through the attributes specified in the template.  

If you would add the field default_code to the search view of the product template (if it is not already there), then you will be able to search a product template based on an internal code of one of its variants.  

Discard
Author

I can easily customize the product.template tree view with . But, have you tried that? You won't be able to sort by default_code.

Author

Then, try working with default_code in the product.template view with multiple variants, having different default_code values. You can't. You have to click through to the variants, anyway. So, again, why even have Manufacturing -> Products point to templates? Is there some logical business process where my production planner would want to look up product templates? He can't make a manufacturing order for a product template.