This question has been flagged
4 Replies

When a sales/commercial department creates a sales order, he wants to tell the customer when he will be delivered (goods will be sent to him at the latest).  It would be in handy to see this on the screen when creating the sales order.  

Discard
Author Best Answer

When we add a sales order line to a sales order, you can specify the number of days needed before it can be shipped to the customer.  However, for every product, a value by default can be given as the Customer Lead Time, which is 7 days by default.  When we confirm a sale order, the moves/procurements created for that line will have a scheduled date as the date of the sales order + that delay on the sales order line.     

If you install the module 'Dates on Sales Orders', it will add a Requested Date and a Commitment Date in the second tab.  The commitment date is a calculated field.  It will be the minimum date of the sale order date + delay on every line.  The requested date is a date you can fill in to compare with what your customer asked for and if it is filled in, this date will be taken into account for the scheduled date of procurements/moves instead.  It will also trigger a warning when it is earlier than your commitment date. 

Remark: The customer lead time in the product is something you need to specify for yourself.  You should try to avoid e.g. that you need to buy this product and it has a purchase lead time of 8 days, when your customer lead time is 7 days.  This would mean that your sales order line has a date of today + 7 days, but you have e.g. 1 day security days and those 8 days of purchase lead time, which will put the order date for the purchase to today - 2, which would mean that your purchase order is de facto too late.  

Discard
Author Best Answer
Discard
Best Answer

The customer lead time in the product is something you need to specify for yourself.  You should try to avoid e.g. that you need to buy this product and it has a purchase lead time of 8 days, when your customer lead time is 7 days.  This would mean that your sales order line has a date of today + 7 days, but you have e.g. 1 day security days and those 8 days of purchase lead time, which will put the order date for the purchase to today - 2, which would mean that your purchase order is de facto too late.

The question is how can we know when the product will be available for shipment when there is somewhat complicated logistics process or manufacturing involved for procurement.  What a normal user should be able to tell would be the delivery lead time from their warehouse to the customer, but it is hard to know how much time is needed until the product will be available.

** I wanted to post this as a comment to the other answer, but I can't tell how to do it.  It seems I can only comment on the original question.

Discard

At the moment you can't comment on other people answers until you reach 50 karma. Regarding your question, I am writing a module that does what you says (it considers MO and purchase orders the sale order will create, recursively) but it isn't finished yet.

Thanks for your comment! I would like to try your module out if it's available in public.