This question has been flagged

I had Odoo 14 up and running fine for a while. I decided to wipe it and reinstall on a fresh server (Ubuntu 20.04, as before).

But whenever I did its first run (with ./odoo-bin -d dbname -i base), it would stop loading at:

odoo.modules.loading: Modules loaded.

...and going to domain:8069 failed with a browser "This site can’t be reached" page.

I tried from a bare Ubuntu 20.04 many times: with the IP address and the domain, with -i all instead of -i base, etc.. I tried a bunch of other things, to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Discard

go to your log and read it for any error.

then inspect your browser and look if there is any error in console.

Author

Thanks for your answer. Strangely, there doesn't appear to be a log! There's no /var/log/odoo directory at all. There's also no odoo-server.conf file in my Odoo installation, which is where I'd expect to set the log location. (Should there be?)

Also, there's no error in the browser's console because the browser never reaches the server.

Additional info: The startup process now goes one step further, ending on:

Job `Base: Auto-vacuum internal data` done. 

Please follow the offjcial Odoo installation documentation.

Author

Obviously, I did already "follow the offjcial Odoo installation documentation." Dozens of times, with and without variations. Specifically, installing from source into Linux.

@Ermin, you closed this question and said there was "not enough information". Please be specific.

Author

Ermin, your statement below ("if you follow standard procedures...") is neither relevant nor helpful.

There may be an issue with the official "install from source" installation instructions. Or I might have missed something. Or this might be an edge case that others might encounter.

I've solved my own problem already (by working with installations from package and via Docker). I'm willing to keep working on this issue, though, to help the people who follow. That's what open-source is about.

Your vague, foolishly certain "You must have done something wrong" doesn't help anybody.

May I remind you that I spent quite some time trying to help you despite the lack of any reasonable context information. And there is no issue with the installation from source. I tried to get you on track, there is no more I can do.

Author Best Answer

In the end it appeared to be a firewall issue -- check ufw if you have this problem!

Discard
Best Answer

There are numerous more or less useful installation directions circulating in the internet. It is really not obvious how you have installed your Odoo instance.

Why do you want to execute Odoo with the -i base parameter, if you have already installed Odoo? Why do you want to execute odoo-bin with the -i parameter at all? And how should an installation of modules be possible, if you have not provided any addons path?

After installation, you usually start Odoo with the parameters for the addons path(s), the log parameter and the odoo.conf file, if any. Of course you have to implement all requisites for log handling and addon paths etc. manually when creating a source install. As described in the installation documentation, you can then access Odoo in the browser with localhost:8069 and create a new database.

If you can't make a source install work, as it seems, I recommend you to use the package installer until you have acquired sufficient knowledge to understand how a source installation works. After successful installation using the package installer, you can simply start the Odoo service with:

$ sudo service odoo start

and you are done. Default log handling and addons path are set in the default odoo.conf file and can be amended at your discretion later.

So you may now understand that we can not provide help based on the preliminaries you have provided.

Discard
Author

Thanks for the details. I'll try the packaged installation. A source installation is obviously supposed to work as well, but I can personally set that aside for a while.

A few things:

1) The instructions I followed were the official ones, at https://www.odoo.com/documentation/14.0/setup/install.html#id7.

2) The -i base parameter appears to be necessary on first startup. In fact, if you attempt without it, you'll get a help message that specifies that -i base is one way to make it work. (It seems the database needs to be explicitly initialised with a source install.)

3) I *did* make the source install work -- several times. Then it just stopped. Clearly something changed (in my procedure or circumstances): I was hoping it was a common issue that someone could point out.

4) You write, "you usually start Odoo with the parameters for the addons path(s), the log parameter and the odoo.conf file, if any". This could be better documented... maybe I'll contribute that somehow when this is all done.

Ad 2)

I have never heard about that and I also can not find it in the installation documentation. I assume your problems seem to related to the missing addons path.

Author

Here's the text's source in Odoo:

/modules/loading.py:368:

_logger.error("Database %s not initialized, you can force it with `-i base`", cr.dbname)

There is no need to do that (it is a very particular use case) if you follow standard procedures and properly set up the addons path, log handling and the odoo.conf file, which is done automatically when using the package installer.

You can do everything else if you have enough understanding of the underlying techniques.