This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Hello all,

I need to record a products unique serial number when the product is shipped to a customer, but I've not been able to find a solution. I've spent hours Googling and trying different things but I cannot find a solution to what seems (to me at least) to be a simple problem.

We purchase products in bulk and hold an inventory in our warehouse. We don't need to record the serial number when receiving the product into the warehouse.

When an order is placed and the delivery order processed, the warehouse operator picks the required number of products from the shelves. For example, a single customer may order a quantity of five products. When processing the order, the warehouse operator needs to be able to enter the five unique serial numbers of each product he picked from the shelf so we have a record of which product was sent to which customer.

This serial number is used for product activation, warranty returns and other auditing.

From what I can tell, OpenERP only supports the tracking of packs or lots not individual serialized products.

I've tried the "Product Serial" module from Akretion but this only seems to handle the recording of serial numbers on incoming shipments. I only need to record the serial on outgoing shipments.

Is there a way of adding a custom field to the delivery order and splitting the quantities one per line so I can record the serial numbers one at a time?

Can anyone offer any other solutions to this problem then I can try out?

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers you can offer.

Dave

Discard
Author Best Answer

Here is one solution for OpenERP 7.0 users who need to track the unique serial number of individual products during outbound shipments:

1 - Enable product serial capture To enable the recording of product serial numbers you need to first install the Product Serial (product_serial) app from Akretion. Next, make sure you have enabled the checkbox "Track serial number on products " under Settings -> Warehouse _. Traceability.

2 - Make serial number capture mandatory To make sure the serial number is entered during shipping, install the Product Serial Mandatory product_serial_mandatory module. Once installed, edit the products category and tick the checkbox "Require Serial Number on Delivery". This will present a pop-up window during shipping if the appropriate number of serial numbers has not been entered for all products within the enabled category.

This is a usable solution for me, but the user experience needs some work. To enter serial numbers you have to split the line items manually, navigate several options and then you must refresh the picking screen manually. Ideally I wanted to use the product_serial feature to automatically split by logistical unit so the picking screen simply shows a grid which the warehouse operator can immediately enter the serial numbers into without having to access another screen. This seems to be have been possible with the 6.0 version of product_serial (previously mrp_prodlot_autosplit) but I couldn't see how to get it working on 7.0.

Hopefully this will be useful to anyone who was searching for a similar solution.

Discard

Thank you for this David. I agree with you though, the user experience in 7.0 seems lacking, but that is probably because the enterprise package now exists.

Can you clarify for a noob? Bitnami on Windows VirtualBox. Modules installed: Remove http://openerp.com bindings, Sales Management, CRM, MRP, Project Management, Issue Tracker, Base Import, and Document Management System. Basic product data loaded. Downloaded zips of product_serial and product_serial_mandatory from http://openerp.com, ssc'd to /opt/bitnami/apps/openerp/lib/openerp-7.0_20130922_231028-py2.7.egg/openerp, and changed permissions. I then created a new product category, but don't see a checkbox for serial mandatory. What am I missing? Really appreciate it!