This question has been flagged
1 Reply

When I install the windows latest nightly, I get an install dir like:

program files\OpenERP 7.0-20130213-002107

I'm assuming 002107 is the build number.

But when I look at runbot.openerp.com, I see build numbers in the 3000s/4000s for trunk 7.0.

I'm curious as to how this process works, but mostly trying to find the most stable 7.0 version to demo this to my company, as I'm finding various bugs in the nightlies. Where can I find the most stable 7.0 windows installer?

Many thanks!

Discard

+1 on this one... I'd also like to find a version tagged as stable or something, and not just the latest junk built after the rushed evening integrations.... I downloaded my all in one and got OpenERP 7.0-20130212-002145, a frightening name I must say...

An interisting comment is that my build number from the 12th is higher than thenon's from the 13th

Author

Additionally, even on the latest nightly, bugs I believe to be fixed on trunk, are still present. For example quite a major one: if you try install any app on a db with demo data enabled, it fails, due to trying to insert an invalid date ("30th" feb....).

Best Answer

The OpenERP release policy is described on the official website. It mentions specifically that:

As of mid-2012, minor/patch OpenERP versions have been replaced by nightly builds - every night a new set of installation packages is generated using the latest bugfixes and translations, after going through our comprehensive test suite. These packages are directly published on the Downloads page.

What this means is that for stable branches the latest nightly build is the last stable version. Note that nightly builds are only published if they pass our full testsuite (including all unit and functional tests + installation test of all modules).

As for the numbering of the nightly builds, you should not try to infer anything from them: they simply contain the date and time; e.g. 20130212-002145 means 2013-02-12 00:21:45.

Stable branches do not receive "rushed evening integrations" nor "latest junk". Stable means they only receive low-risk bugfixes that have been reviewed and approved. That does not mean no bug exists, but there should be little risk of seeing regressions.

If you're experiencing an issue with demo data, you should try to install a database without demo data. And for demos there's a very simple solution: use the demo version on OpenERP.com, you can even start your own personalized instance for free in 2 clicks - it will live for the duration of your session, perfect for demos.

Finally, I don't know what you mean by "believed to be fixed on trunk", but in any case trunk is a different branch and seeing a bug fixed in one branch does not mean it is fixed in all of them. The bug management policy is explained in the documentation.

Discard