This question has been flagged

Can you have one operation that is used in multiple BoMs? I am creating operations now in the MRP and every time I add one to a BoM, it creates a new operation even if it has all the same attributes as an existing operation.

Discard
Best Answer

Odoo doesn't support the same operation to be used in different BOMs.

The same operations might sound the same but for different BOMs, the operation time and the usable tools and work centers might be different.  SO to avoid conflict you need the create a new operation with every BOM.

Srijita Banerjee

Jr.Odoo Consultant

Tel: +353 1 886 5684 (IE) +44 121 285 5684 (UK)  +91 964 381 7554 (IN)

Target Integration | CRM ERP Cloud

Website | LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram

Discard
Author Best Answer

Craig,

Thanks so much for your response. We are a game call manufacturer. We manufacture duck, goose, deer, and turkey calls. Out of thousands of SKUs, we have less than 15 operations (engraving, pad printing, tuning, assembling, packaging, etc.) What could be a list of <15 is now >1,000. Very frustrating.

John Dicken

Discard
Best Answer

John - I have run into the same issue, and have asked a similar question multiple times on the forum.

I believe what you're trying to accomplish works in versions prior to 14, by defining work stations and operations together into a manufacturing flow (routing). You then assign the desired routing to the BOM.

In our case we have the same assembly line (various work centers) and the same type of work (operations) is performed at the respective stations no matter what product is being manufactured. We build houses (unique BOM per project) that go through our 16 construction stages and the type of labor is always the same on each stage.

With version 14, routings are now gone. This change does not work well with our process, but it does make the manufacturing process more flexible. As Srijita mentioned, each operation may have a different amount of time required and may use different work stations, depending on what is being manufactured. With version 14, it's almost as if the "routing" is now specific to each BOM in that you create/define it on the BOM level rather than through standard configurations.

What really seems odd to me is that when you create an operation on a BOM, I believe it populates the "standard" operations list under configuration. However, that standard list is not accessible from the BOM level, so in effect you keep endlessly adding what may be the exact same operation to the standard list. I don't even understand the purpose of their being an operation table under configuration.  Again, this change in 14 definitely increases the flexibility but may require work arounds for companies like ours. The only work around that has been suggested to me has been utilizing template BOMs for the pre-population of the work centers/operations. I'm not sure this works well in our case, but it might in yours. 

Good luck!

Discard