This question has been flagged

I installed subscription in 11 enterprise. But to configure the dashboard, I had to add a deferred revenue type for the subscription template. What are the types of accounts to add for the Deferred Revenue Account, Recognition Income Account, Recognition Account? I searched the demo database to see the account types but it is given Deferred Revenue Account=fixed assets, Recognition Income Account=fixed assets, Recognition Account=expense!!!(Odoo Monthly) But the odoo docs says that deferred revenue is considered a liability.

So my question is which are the right account types to use for Deferred Revenue Account, Recognition Income Account, Recognition Account while we create a new deferred revenue type?

Discard
Best Answer

Most Implementations:

• the default (recommended) - usually used when your subscription revenue will be realized in the 'short' term.

1. Deferred Revenue Account = Current Liability

2. Recognition Income Account = Income Account

3. Recognition Account = [Deferred Revenue Account]

Some Implementations:

• optional (expert users only) - usually used when SOME of your subscription revenue will be realized in the 'short' term and some in the 'long' term.  This is a GAAP/IFRS compliance issue (how 'current' is defined varies) and may not be a requirement - review with your CPA.

1. Deferred Revenue Account = Non-Current Liability

2. Recognition Income Account = Income Account

3. Recognition Account = Current Liability

• you need to move the current term subscription amount manually from (1) the Deferred Revenue Account (debit) to (3) the Recognition Account (credit) yourself, based on your requirements for the split of the current/long term liability amounts.

All Implementations:

When the Invoice for a deferred revenue subscription is validated, all of the future revenue is credited to the Deferred Revenue Account.

At the interval you define, for example each month, a portion is debited from the Recognition Account and credited to the Recognition Income Account.

There is a great webinar by my colleague, Nick Kosinski, that goes over how the deferred revenue works within the CRM, Subscription and Accounting Apps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaXVeENeiJo

Discard
Best Answer

Hello Ray,

on Odoo V12 when defining a deferred revenu type , by default, the system will use the same account for Deferred Revenue Account and for  Recognition Account (the second one is automatically filled in with the content of the first one)
The Deferred Revenue Account gets credited when the invoice is validated

When all deferred revenue entries have been generated then for this single account,  debit=credit and everything is fine

if you use two different accounts then you end up with a credit line the  Deferred Revenue Account and a debit in the   Recognition Account .

You have then to enter a manual entry to balance both accounts or is there a transaction to do that ?
regards

Maurice

Discard