This question has been flagged
11 Replies

Hello, sorry if my question is very simple but I don't find the way to open a command line and run odoo.py commands (I learn about it in https://www.odoo.com/documentation/8.0/howtos/backend.html).

I have Odoo 7 and Windows XP 32 bits. I don't install Odoo 8 because I get an error when I try to run the application.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi José. You'll want to use Windows' Command Prompt. Go to the Start Menu and in the search box at the bottom type "cmd". I just tested the scaffold command under Windows, and it is working fine.

(Also the install for Odoo 8 is working fine for me. Can you create another question that details the error you are receiving? I might be able to assist in fixing it.)

Discard
Author

I will create a question for the installation error. I open the cmd, but when type "odoo.py" or "odoo.py scaffold" I get: "odoo.py is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I run it from "C:\Windows\System32" in XP 32 bits.

Make sure you start the command prompt with "Run as Administrator" (from its right click menu). Have you navigated to the directory where odoo.py is located? It's in the Server directory. Now type "odoo scaffold new_directory_name". If you get an error, something is still wrong. If you get no feedback, check the server directory for your new_directory_name.

Oops, on Windows it is not "odoo.py" but "odoo.exe" that run from the Server directory. You shouldn't need to type the extension anyway.

Author Best Answer

@Kelly Stuart, you are rigth.

To use command-line in Windows: Run as administrator the command line (cmd) and then navigate to "your_odoo_install_folder"/server and then run "odoo scaffold...."

Thanks!

Discard

You are welcome, José. I'm glad this worked for you. I agree that it is important to be able to invoke odoo commands just like on a Linux-based OS.

Best Answer

You can try below

python ./odoo-bin -c odoo.conf

Hope this help you

Discard
Best Answer

You don't need command line in windows. There is different ways to follow the instructions in windows OS. For example to restart odoo you can use services/task manager (ctrl+alt+del). Also take a look at C:\Program Files (x86)\Odoo 8.0-20141021-000209\service folder. You might find some useful files like start.bat

I hope it helps

Discard
Author

Ok, but for instance, how can I run odoo.py scaffold command? For more information see this link: https://www.odoo.com/documentation/8.0/howtos/backend.html

For this one I just copy an existing module and edit it :D

Author

It solves this particular problem, but still I want to know how can invoke odoo.py commands. Thanks for your reply!