This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Odoo 11.0+e

We are new to Odoo but are struggling to make sense of message history.

To communicate with a prospect in our pipeline we must first create a Contact.  Then we can send messages to the prospect at any point within the Pipeline.

But if we also communicate with the contact from the Contact record - the message histories are not merged and it seems very difficult to get a complete picture of all the comms that have happened with that customer.

This also seems to happen with other record types. Send a message to the customer while looking at her quote , invoice, sale, subscription, or opportunities and that exchange isn't easily available to another employee that might be looking up the customer contact for a followup.  

If a customer phones in and we open the contact - the message histories seem well hidden.  The tabs show how many opportunities, sales, and subscriptions we have on file, but there is no indication if messaging has occurred without clicking in to examine each record.

I'm sure we've missed something obvious and we could really use some clarity here.  Many thanks! 

Discard
Author Best Answer

Thanks Yenthe. I lack the karma to comment on your reply so will do it here.

I'm seeking additional functionality - something that can be loaded on demand as either a full message log or as a clear indication of which customer documents have messages attached to them. Forcing Odoo users to hunt for message traffic that has been hidden in multiple silos is a recipe for frustration on both sides of the conversation.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi David,

This is basically how Odoo works by default. The idea is to have all the information for one subject on one spot. All the information about your sale order? On that sale order. All the information about your lead? On that lead. 
I think you should think about this from another perspective. Start from the customer form and then open the related record where you want information/history about. If the person behind the phone gets a call from customer X about sale order Y he or she will need to open and look at the sale order Y anyways. This means that if you open this contact his sale order that you find all info related to that sale order, nothing else.

If you should want every message that was said related to a customer in one view you could choose for custom development. As pretty much everything in Odoo is related you can create a new relational field that shows all e-mails related to a contact on the contact form. The question is if it is really that useful though. You'll get a huge load of messages and filtering/finding out the trace from one subject will become a bit annoying. Not to mention that if you have a contact with a lot of conversation(s) that the loadtime for the contact view will drop too.

I hope this insight helps you a bit.

Regards,

Yenthe

Discard