Associate MULTIPLE SERIAL NUMBERS with a single inventory item?
GOAL: Associate MULTIPLE SERIAL NUMBERS with a single inventory item
- We have a single TYPE of Widget. The widget has a QTY of 10.
- Each WIDGET has a different serial #. Thus we have 10 serial #'s since we have a QTY of 10.
- We sell that widget to 10 customers. (Because we have a QTY of 10 in stock)
- Each widget we sell decreases the QTY by 1. We need to associate the item we sold with a customer invoice. So we know WHICH customer we sold WHICH WIDGET to with WHICH Serial #.
Is there a way to handle this natively within Odoo? The only solution I see right now is to create a separate inventory item for every item we sell. So, instead of having 1 inventory item with a QTY of 10 we would have 10 inventory items with a QTY of 1.
This is bad for two reasons:
1) Reporting - It's not easy to see which customers we sold this widget to in a single view.
2) It's messy. It would be better to have a single inventory item with multiple serial #'s associated with it then many different inventory items with a single serial #.
Let me know your thoughts on this and how others are handling this!