Odoo cannot translate from one unit of measure (like a roll)
to another (like a yard) without a fixed ratio and does not support unknown
ratios between units.
If you don’t know how long to roll will be when you order:1. Create a unit of measure called "YARDS" which is the reference for Length / Distance Category:
2. Define a unit of measure called “ROLL” which is 9,999 "YARDS" (or the largest possible number you would order) and set your Reference Unit of measure to YARDS.
Note: If you have other length / distance units and prefer to keep the reference unit of measure as another, just adjust the ratio in step 1 to match what you are converting from / to.
2. Create each Vinyl product such that it has a Unit of Measure in YARDS, but a Purchase Unit of Measure in ROLL.
3. Create Purchase Orders normally, selecting a ROLL of
4. When receiving, edit the DONE quantity to match the 50, 100 or 250 yards that is received and select NO BACKORDER so it closes the PO.
5. Optional: Adjust the QTY on the Invoice to “1” Roll so it makes sense in Accounting, and know that the received QTY on the PO won’t match if you take this option.
Explain / Train users that depending on your choice at step (5) how to interpret the Bill and / or QTY BILLED on the Purchase Order: